John N. Sofos Most-cited JFP Research and Review Publication Awards
2016 — Research Paper
- 1st: Yaguang Luo, Xiangwu Nou, Yang Yang, Isabel Alegre, Ellen Turner, Hao Feng, Maribel Abadias and William Conway. Determination of Free Chlorine Concentrations Needed to Prevent Escherichia coli O157:H7 Cross-contamination during Fresh-cut Produce Wash. J. Food Prot. 74:352??58.
- 2nd: Hong Wang, Yanbin Li, Andrew Wang and Michael Slavik. Rapid, Sensitive, and Simultaneous Detection of Three Foodborne Pathogens Using Magnetic Nanobead-based Immunoseparation and Quantum Dot-based Multiplex Immunoassay. J. Food Prot. 74:2039??047.
- 1st: Michelle Danyluk and Donald W. Schaffner. Quantitative Assessment of the Microbial Risk of Leafy Greens from Farm to Consumption: Preliminary Framework, Data, and Risk Estimates. J. Food Prot. 74:700??08.
- Review Paper
- 1st: Colin O. Gill, L. Saucier and W. J. Meadus. Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in Dairy Products, Meat, and Drinking Water. J. Food Prot. 74:480??99
2015 — Research Paper
- 1st: Marilyn C. Erickson, Cathy C. Webb, Juan Carlos Diaz-Perez, Sharad C. Phatak, John J. Silvoy, Lindsey Davey, Alison S. Payton, Jean Liao, Li Ma, and Michael P. Doyle.. Surface and Internalized Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Field-grown Spinach and Lettuce Treated with Spray-Contaminated Irrigation Water. J. Food Prot. 73:1023??029.
- 2nd: Geun Woo Park, Leslie Barclay, David Macinga, Duane Charbonneau, Charles A. Pettigrew, and Jan Vinj챕. Comparative Efficacy of Seven Hand Sanitizers against Murine Norovirus, Feline Calicivirus, and GII.4 Norovirus. J. Food Prot. 73:2232??238.
- 3rd: Marilyn C. Erickson, Cathy C. Webb, Juan Carlos Diaz-Perez, Sharad C. Phatak, John J. Silvoy, Lindsey Davey, Alison S. Payton, Jean Liao, Li Ma, and Michael P. Doyle. Infrequent Internalization of Escherichia coli O157:H7 into Field-grown Leafy Greens. J. Food Prot. 73:500??06.
- Review Paper
- 1st: Emily C. Mathusa, Yuhuan Chen, Elena Enache, and Lloyd Hontz. Non-O157 Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli in Foods. J. Food Prot. 73:1721-1736.
2014 — Research Paper
- 1st: Tong Zhao, Ping Zhao and Michael P. Doyle. 2009. Inactivation of Salmonella and Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Lettuce and Poultry Skin by Combinations of Levulinic Acid and Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate. J. Food Prot. 72:928??6.
- 2nd: Anat Lapidot and Sima Yaron. 2009. Transfer of Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium from Contaminated Irrigation Water to Parsley is Dependent on Curli and Cellulose, the Biofilm Matrix Components. J. Food Prot. 72:618??3.
- 3rd (tie): Anja Klan훾nik, Bernarda Guzej, Majda H. Kolar, Helena Abromavi훾 and Sonja Smole Mo탑ina. In Vitro Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activity of Commercial Rosemary Extract Formulations. J. Food Prot. 72:1744??2.
- 3rd (tie): Ruchira Mitra, Emilia Cuesta-Alonso, Astri Wayadande, Justin Talley, Stanley Gilliland and Jacqueline Fletcher. 2009. Effect of Route of Introduction and Host Cultivar on the Colonization, Internalization, and Movement of the Human Pathogen Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Spinach. J. Food Prot. 72:1521??0.
- Review Paper
- 1st: Alissa M. Wesche, Joshua B. Gurtler, Bradley P. Marks and Elliot T. Ryser. 2009. Stress, Sublethal Injury, Resuscitation, and Virulence of Bacterial Foodborne Pathogens. J. Food Prot. 72:928??6.
2013 — Research Paper
- 1st: Eric A. E. Garber. 2008. Detection of Melamine Using Commercial Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay Technology. J. Food Prot. 71:590??.
- 2nd: Jazmin D. Vojdani, Larry R. Beuchat and Robert V. Tauxe. 2008. Juice-associated Outbreaks of Human Illness in the United States, 1995 through 2005. J. Food Prot.71:356??4.
- 3rd: James A. Lowther, Kathleen Henshilwood and David N. Lees. 2008. Determination of Norovirus Contamination in Oysters from Two Commercial Harvesting Areas over an Extended Period, Using Semiquantitative Real-time Reverse Transcription PCR. J. Food Prot. 71:1427??3.
2012 — Research Paper
- 1st: Martijn Bouwknegt, Froukje Lodder-Verschoor, Wim H. M. Van Der Poel, Saskia A. Rutjes and Ana Maria De Roda Husman. 2007. Hepatitis E Virus RNA in Commercial Porcine Livers in The Netherlands. J. Food Prot. 70:2889??5.
- 2nd: Terrance M. Arthur, Joseph M. Bosilevac, Dayna M. Brichta-Harhay, Michael N. Guerini, Norasak Kalchayanand, Steven D. Shackelford, Tommy L. Wheeler and Mohammad Koohmaraie. 2007. Transportation and Lairage Environment Effects on Prevalence, Numbers, and Diversity of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Hides and Carcasses of Beef Cattle at Processing. J. Food Prot. 70:280??.
- 3rd (tie): Teck Lok Wong, Lauren Hollis, Angela Cornelius, Carolyn Nicol, Roger Cook and John Andrew Hudson. 2007. Prevalence, Numbers, and Subtypes ofCampylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli in Uncooked Retail Meat Samples; J. Food Prot. 70:566??3
- 3rd (tie): Luxin Wang , Yong Li and Azlin Mustapha. 2007. Rapid and Simultaneous Quantitation of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella, and Shigella in Ground Beef by Multiplex Real-Time PCR and Immunomagnetic Separation. J. Food Prot. 70:1366??2.
- Review Paper
- 1st: Alexandra Lianou and John N. Sofos. 2007. A Review of the Incidence and Transmission of Listeria monocytogenes in Ready-to-Eat Products in Retail and Food Service Environments. J. Food Prot. 70:2172??8.
2011 — Research Paper
- 1st: Jennifer L. Cannon, Efstathia Papafragkou, Geunwoo W. Park, Jason Osborne, Lee-Ann Jaykus and Jan Vinje. 2006. Surrogates for the Study of Norovirus Stability and Inactivation in the Environment: A Comparison of Murine Norovirus and Feline Calicivirus. J. Food Prot. 69:2761??.
- 2nd: Eric Fugett, Esther Fortes, Catherine Nnoka and Martin Wiedmann. 2006. International life Sciences Institute North America Listeria monocytogenes Strain Collection: Development of Standard Listeria monocytogenes Strain Sets for Research and Validation Studies. J. Food Prot. 69:2929??8.
- 3rd: Mounia Oussalah, St챕phane Caillet and Monique Lacroix. 2006. Mechanism of Action of Spanish Oregano, Chinese Cinnamon, and Savory Essential Oils Against Cell Membranes and Walls of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes. J. Food Prot. 69:1046??5.
Submit a Nomination
Award nominations for 2017 will open in November 2016. Deadline for nominations and applications is Tuesday, February 22, 2017.